Richard has held a number of solo exhibitions and participated in many group showings. These include:
- ‘Fretwork Pediments in Queensland’, University of Queensland Art Museum, 1982
- ‘Photographs by Richard Stringer’, Bellas Gallery, Brisbane, 1987 and 1988
- ‘Industrial Archaeology: Photographs of Ipswich’s Industrial Heritage, Ipswich Art Gallery, 1992
- ‘Queensland Remembers: War Memorials: Photographs by Richard Stringer’, Queensland Museum, Brisbane, 1995
- ‘Vanishing Queensland: Photographs by Richard Stringer’, a National Trust of Queensland and Regional Galleries Association of Queensland touring exhibition, 2000
- ‘The Blair Pavilion: Photographs by Richard Stringer’, Ipswich Art Gallery, 2009.
- ‘Pleasure of Place: Photographs by Richard Stringer’, Queensland Art Gallery, 26 October 2013 – 16 March 2014.
Alongside private acquisitions, several major public collections include Richard’s work:
- National Library of Australia
- Parliament House of Australia, Canberra
- National Gallery of Victoria
- Ipswich Art Gallery
- University of Queensland
- Queensland Art Gallery
- Brisbane Civic Art Gallery.